Thursday, August 28, 2008

Another Coming Out (of sorts)


OMG!!! What a day yesterday was. I walked into the office of our housekeeping director at the assisted Living where I am Chaplain part time. She is from Europe, and is in a bi-racial marriage of 25 years. We have a lot of conversations about her family, her employees. Well yesterday I was sharing some work related issues with her, and concerns about the future. Nothing specific about my sexuality. She turned to me and said, "This is 2008, don't you think its time you stop worrying about what people think, and just enjoy living your life and be who you are?" I just looked at her and thought she knows!!! She went on to say something about ministry that who I am should not impact my ability to minister. In fact dealing with it would make me a better minister. Also that if I am not accepted, then change my audience go where I am accepted and minister there.


We talked about it, and she told me the employees here know, or they suspect and its OK. It makes me human to them, not someone who has to be walked around very carefully. she also mentioned there are others here who are gay as well. yes, I know at least 1 for sure. After that I don't remember much else about the conversation. I wonder have I become obvious?


I am still processing this, its quite a journey. But for someone to say its OK, be who you are in the way she did I think is significant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This woman sounds like an awesome person. I liked what she said about changing the audience...thats such a good way to put it. I do believe you have found a support there where you work.

I have been reading your blog now for a while. I have found your blog to be very interesting. I have wanted to post a comment before and never have but after reading this post I thought I would jump in.

manxxman said...

Coming out is so liberating even if it is a reverse coming out....it feels so good. If it feels so good once it will feel just a good the next time and the next. Sure there will be bumps in the road, there are always bumps in the road.....but life is a journey which we can't avoid. Oh we can hide from it, sometimes even for years, but eventually we have to get back on the road for our journey.

Vic Mansfield said...

Come out, come out, wherever you are! I'm too big to be a munchin, but sometimes i feel like one.