Saturday, July 12, 2014

MY HOW TIME CHANGES THINGS!

Back in the early 1970's I was a preteen, we lived in Northern Virginia.  At that time, I started attending a local Southern Baptist Church.   I was Baptized in that church, and stayed there until my family moved to Hampton Roads.  Looking back, I guess that church was always on the moderate to liberal side, thinking back to the worship style and traditions we had.  For instance exchanging Pulpits with an Episcopal, a Presbyterian, and a Methodist Church.

Flash forward to 2014,  I was on a site  I go to sometimes called www.Gaychurch.org, Looking down the list of affirming churches in Virginia, I noticed northern Virginia has the most affirming churches in the state, followed by Richmond.  Second thing I noticed there was a church with the address of that church I attended on the list!  However it had a different name, so I clicked on its website, and  found it was the church I was Baptized in!  It's American Baptist and part of the Alliance of Baptists now.  Yes it is open and affirming!  Wonders will never cease, will they?  In fact, as I scoured the site, I found that Music Director is openly gay, the Church Administrator description says she lives with her partner, (Female).  I noticed a link to the DC Pride site, and the Co Pastor saying they would have a table again this year at DC Pride.  WOW! to think I was a member of that church. 

I am going to try and plan a long weekend soon and go to church there.  If I there was ever a position that would pay me enough to live there again, I might try it.   

No comments: