Friday, April 29, 2011

Carbon Footprint


At church on Wednesday night we began our Spring CHOW, (Church On Wednesday). Theme is being green, I'm using the book "Green Church" (Cokesbury) along with information from "Stewardship of God's Creation."

I found a web site Carbon Footprint.com (http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx) That can calculate your carbon footprint, and suggests ways to reduce that including donations. My focus is what we can do to reduce our individual footprints. Specifically, reduce, reuse, recycle. It is as much spiritual as anything. For instance: Reuse, when I buy something new (a blessing to me)to replace something else, the thing that is replaced is given away, to a cloths closet, or the Salvation Army, or some other organization. Instead of sending it to the landfill. If it is not usable then I try find some other use for it.

My Carbon footprint, According to the above website, I calculated my footprint and it is 14.2 tons of carbon. The average in the U.S.A. is over 20 tons. The goal is to reduce this as much as possible, a world wide goal is to reduce it to 2 tons. So I continue to reduce, reuse, and recycle.

I hope the next five weeks of Spring CHOW will encourage the participants to be better stewards of God's creation.

No comments: