Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cooking With Gas!

Having never lived anywhere with gas for heat or cooking, this apartment is a new experience for me. We have a gas stove that is old.  It has two settings, high and off LOL.  To regulate the heat, I have to remove the pan and watch to make sure the flame does not go out.  The other day, I was cooking some meat and the flame went out on me twice, so I set it slightly higher. The pan got very hot, and when I flipped the meat over, there was so much smoke it set the fire alarm off!  I turned the flame off and had to open the windows, the door  ect along with having the range top fan on full. I ended up finishing the meat in the microwave.  In the future I will use my George Foreman Grill. Thus far, I have not used the oven and want do some baking as the Holidays approach. Plus I prefer baked chicken, fish and meats as opposed to fried.  So I'm going to try my hand at the oven.  I told my roommate this, he chuckled and just don't blow the place up! haha! So in the next few days I'm gonna attempt to bake some chicken in the oven. I found a lamb shank steak I want to roast, but don't want that to my first attempt at using the oven. It will be sometime soon though, using my mother's recipe and making the gravy.  I did this for Christmas last year and it turned out very well, the gravy reminded me of what my mother used to make! Imagine that, and I cooked it!  I hope I can do that again. 

Wish me luck!

 

No comments: