Monday, January 14, 2013

Last Night at Work: A Second Monday Post

Over my career, I have been appreciated, encouraged, rejected, cussed out, threatened,  and even spit at.  Fortunately the cussing, threatening, and spitting are far and few between. When one works with folk who are at their worst, in a crisis, their most irrational moment, it will happen.  It's bound to happen.

Last night was one of those nights, I was called for a death.  One of the family members was completely out of control.  He had others in his family trying to help, and some wanting him to just leave.  He was inconsolable, completely irrational and of course whatever substances he had on board did not help his situation. For the first time in quite sometime, I was threatened by him when we tried to get him to calm down.  He singled me out from the other staff, one because I was the only man, second, I was viewed as the authority figure.  The doctor quickly left the situation, because he could, and he had other patient's. One of the nurses got security involved which was a very good thing.  I was glad because of the look in this guys eyes, I felt back up would be needed.

It took two security officers, his brother and other family members to "help" him leave.  The thing is he took all the attention away from other family members from being able to grieve and have time they needed. I stayed much longer than usual to be there for the staff who needed to talk and they did. Plus there were a few of the patient's family who remained.  It was an exhausting night.

1 comment:

Robin Larkspur said...

So sorry that there was a bad situation; so sad and terrible for everyone.