Thursday, October 14, 2010

What about Tolerance?

What about tolerance? I used to think that in order to be tolerant I had to compromise my belief. How wrong I was! Tolerance is about accepting, working with, and assisting a person as they are, where they are. It appears society is becoming more and more intolerant. Much of this intolerance exists along the lines of religion, and sexual orientation. Consider a small church pastor being thrust on the world stage for his threat to burn the sacred book of another faith group. Consider the volatile minority of a faith group in its persecution of women, and people who do not belong or fit their mold. Recently there was the brutal attack on a homosexual person, at the same time a political candidate articulating what I consider to be hate toward the homosexual community. We have a political group vocalizing fear, anger, and again I think hate. This list could go on and on.

Where is tolerance? This is the 21st century after all. My growth both spiritual and personal occurred when I learned to accept myself the way God made me. Then I became open and accepting of people whoever they are. Additionally my work in the Hospital greatly helped me grow. Now I am a reformed Christian, or in the words of a Biblical scholar reformed and being reformed. I suggest that if folk would look beyond themselves and their group and think through what they believe and why. Perhaps find a way to accept something about them-selves. They might be more open, and perhaps find more peace and satisfaction in life.

No comments: