Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Eat More Chikin"???

This past week Chik Fila was in the news, the CEO made public his opinion against same sex marriage. This created a firestorm of publicity for the company, and highlighted the ongoing controversy.  He is entitled to his opinion, and to voice his opinion.  The question for me is this just his position or the official position of his company.  Again, something that is within their right to do.  This company has been known as a christian owned company, with policies in line with conservative christian ideals.  The thing is if it is his opinion, he should keep it to himself as the CEO of the company, because the publicity has impact on company as a whole.  With protests, and counter protests, it can be both good and bad for the company and its franchisees. 

For those of us in the gay community, we have to decide if we want to overlook this opinion and continue to do business with Chik Fila or not.  Many are calling for a boycott and those on the other side calling for support of this business.

For me, I must admit at first, I was turned off and not wanting to eat there any longer.  However,  I like their sandwiches, their service, I always have. I may limit my future business with Chik Fil A but I doubt I will totally stop eating there. After all, I am sure there are gay community members who work and perhaps own a franchise with this company. I don't want to penalize them for the out spoken opinion of their CEO.  It might be different if they were to begin an active campaign of discrimination.

What do you think? 

3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Chik-fil-a gives money to help write laws against my life and my liberties. Why should I give them a dime? Sorry. Never spending money there again.

Unknown said...

This is very true, something to consider. True of any company that gives to political causes.

Robin Larkspur said...

Besides the fact that the CEO is a moron (and I defend his right to be one...!!) the company is now labeled anti-gay, whether they are or not. It is disheartening, but then again, do you think they do or don't represent the general consensus of Southern and conservative belief? That area of the country is notoriously behind the times in many areas. Should we be surprised? Too bad, because their chicken is good, but they are not up North. Gee, I can't even protest by not buying their chicken.