Tuesday, July 3, 2012

From Andy Griffith to Anderson Cooper

Today one of my favorite actors died. Andy Griffith, he was 86.  Its always sad when someone you enjoyed on TV and the movies dies.  I still watch the Andy Griffith show on Netflix as well as Matlock. His homespun humor, and insight made his shows great entertainment for me at least. he and Don Knotts made a great team.  He lived not far from the Hampton Roads area, in Dare County NC. At least we have the body of his work left behind still to enjoy.

Anderson Cooper comes out. Seriously did anyone not know he is gay? Does it matter in the public eye, to the work he does that he is gay, that he felt he had to come out officially? According to what I read, he felt not going public about his sexuality gave the impression he was ashamed.  The fact is he is gay, he is entitled to his privacy and it really is no one's business.  Though I have to say I appreciate his willingness to talk about his sexuality openly. I feel it helps the equality movement and keeps the issue in the limelight.

 A quote from his letter in the Daily Beast.
 "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be any more happy, comfortable with myself and proud," the CNN journalist told The Daily Beast columnist and gay rights activist Andrew Sullivan."

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/news/anderson_cooper_comes_out_the_fact_im/327324#ixzz1zaIjSmqC

Still his private life should not be open season for the public.  We really don't need to know everything about a celebrity, politician, or royal.  As long as it has no direct bearing on their work. Or endangers anyone.   The effects of coming out to the wrong person can be devastating in one's life.  Some people just don't need to know.  There are those who you really want to tell, but you have to weigh the risks with the benefits. 

No comments: