Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Its May Day!

The first of May seems to have significance around the world.  I remember during the days of the Soviet Union, they had a big military display and parade. I think the remaining Communist countries still do.  The first of May is also known as Law day, a celebration of the laws that govern us, and the law profession.  Its also the International Day of the Worker.  I also understand gay organizations use this day to promote equality.  So the first of May is a busy day!

I saw on the news that today there is expected to be many protests by what has become known as the 99% movement in recognition of the worker. I have two comments...

First regarding the 99% movement.  I am sympathetic toward this movement and hope it can help move the politics(through the ballot box) of our country away from partisan idealogical bickering to real action for the good of the nation. I am not naive,its just a hope.  However, I am not in favor of any protest which is violent, detroys the property of others, tramples on the rights of others to make their living.  I think it is counter productive to this movement. Also, I have to note there has not been a clear, announced goal of those leading this movement. (if there is indeed any real leadership) I've seen signs protesting a myriad of issues, none related to the other it seems.  Without true leadership it will not be effective.  This movement should promote changes in laws to protect workers rights. Not transfer of wealth or restrict capitalist engagement.  It should promote laws that keep the big and powerful in check so to keep greed on Wall Street,Madison Ave, and Main Street from creating situations that led to the Great Recession.  Just my opinion, hey its my blog.

Second about Law Day, as a gay man I have a vested interest in any legislation, or movement that affirms our personhood, right to marry or be in a civil union, whichever term floats your boat.  As a christian, I prefer the term marriage.  Also I am hopeful for laws that protect those of us in the LGBT communitie's right to not be fired because we are gay, protect our right to live out our lives in a way that is fulfilling. Without fear of or actual retribution because we are "different" from the "norm".  That is what I hope for on this May Day 2012. 

No comments: