Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday's are Special

At home growing up, Sunday was always a special day.  My mother would fix a spectacular meal, we would eat off the good china.  I recall as a small child going to the neighborhood church with my sister and brother. As I got older, I started attending a church on my own.  I was thinking about this today, as I walked to a nearby church for the service.  Its a good size church, they had Communion (which they do on the first and third Sunday)  The people were friendly, the pastor came all the way to the last pew where I was sitting to greet me. They showed the songs, Scripture and responsive readings on both sides of the front wall, which I thought was well done, and helpful.  I may visit this church again.

Today, I want to share what I think will become a regular Sunday post.  A short Scripture and thought, devotion, or whatever you want to call it. Its my opportunity to share from the Scripture, and perhaps about my path, belief, convictions. (I'm a preacher after all) I invite you to share your thoughts in response and perhaps have a conversation.  However, I won't respond to or post comments that I deem disrespectful, hateful, hurtful, or otherwise offensive.  Hey, its my blog.

Ascension;  today is Ascension Sunday on the church calendar. In Acts 1:4-11. I invite you to look it up and read it.  Jesus gathered his followers together and told them of the coming of the Holy Spirit.  He would leave them, but would send the "helper" The Holy Spirit to empower, guide, teach them the way they should walk on this earth.  Two things I wish to point out and I hope encourage you with.  First, In Matt 28:20 Jesus says he is with us always, " I am with you always, even until the end of the age"  Note the term I AM, remember what  the Father said to Moses?  I AM?  In Acts 1, Jesus says will send the Holy Spirit.  We as Believers today have the presence of God with us in the person of the Holy Spirit.  That means we each have within us a guide who if we listen to him, will lead us the way we ought to go.He will give strength, comfort, and peace in midst of life's storms.  That also means through the Holy Spirit God is present with us always.  Bidden or not God is there.  I find comfort in that.  I hope you do too.

May He bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you. May He give you His peace! 

No comments: