Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Wrong Question to Ask!

Several days ago I made mentions of a problem with my planned application for graduate study.  Well here are the details...I found an online degree program that had everything I was looking for. it was affordable too. I even discovered my employer provides $2500 a year in tuition reimbursement for my job classification! So I was all set to apply, reading through the online application, I discovered a problem.  There are a series of questions, petty standard like have you been convicted of a felony, are you a citizen, then the question I just do not like or want to answer.  In fact I will not answer, and will not be applying to this school or other schools that ask this question.

The question;  Have you EVER engaged in Heterosexual misconduct or Homosexual behavior? i.e. engage in sex, going to gay clubs, gay chat rooms, talked about gay issues, basically are you a homosexual?  Say what??  Let that one sink in a minute....  and I thought don't ask don't tell was alive and well in the church.  Not the SBC.



Now it crossed my mind to answer the question with a NO.  However, that would be putting myself back in the closet, it would be a lie and counter productive.  Now I also thought about saying yes, but this also would be counter productive.  I am certain it would disqualify my admission and could get back to my home church.  I do not want to confirm any one's suspicions.  Then also I don't think its any one's business what my sexual preference is.

Not only do they basically ask about one's sexuality, to out oneself, they couple it with a misconduct question!  That's the SBC for you. They firmly believe people like me are hell bound, regardless!  Not gonna move them on that one either.  I checked another SBC seminary and it had the same series of questions.  I am disappointed at this, but not going to let it stop me.  I will find a school where its not important. 

A friend sent me a link to United Church of Christ seminaries, since they are open and affirming. I'm looking at them, along with a couple of more liberal seminaries here in my state. Two offer a combination of online and on campus options. The Online option is important to me.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I will continue this discussion in future posts. 

 

3 comments:

Cubby said...

This is disgusting. I am truly disgusted.

Jeffrey said...

What the hell did you *expect* the Southern Baptist Convention to ask? It's not like you don't know that they are conservative. It's not like you don't know they are NAZI-level conservative. Please. We all do.

Dude, you are talking about RELIGION here. They're all pretty much against being authentic.

Unknown said...

A note from Topper in response to BadgerBear's comment, true I know its religion and the SBC. However, I have taken both undergraduate and graduate courses in two SBC seminaries and this question was NEVER asked. Yes they are conservative, no I am no longer where they are THANK GOD! No, I do not agree not all religion is against being authentic. Religion, is filled with imperfect humans. We all need to realize this. I do agree that for the most part human rules and expectations often cloud what is or should be authentic.