Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Master of Theological Studies

Well I have spent time reading degree programs online, trying to find a degree I can do online. I found two programs that offered most of what I need and want. I decided to work on the application for a Master of Theological Studies.  The school is a two hour drive from here, but offers online options for study. This school is a Baptist School but affiliated with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, and Alliance of Baptists.  Both groups are more moderate and promote equality for sexual orientation. I checked the Mission Statement and Covenant, the Student Handbook and saw nothing that concerned me...at least thus far.  The application requires 2 references, I have not seen anything about church endorsement.  It also requires a 1000 word essay answering questions about what the degree will help me accomplish, and why I chose this school. An interview with faculty is also required. Something I like about this particular program is it offers 3 elective course opportunities. There is a course elective that is a Pastoral Counseling Practicum I would love to take, it offers a course in crisis intervention as well. Those would be two practical electives.  One thing I don't like is the Biblical Language requirement, at least it just requires one language in a  two course sequence. However, it will be to my advantage for any further work I might wish to do. Still I would prefer to use those hours toward pastoral counseling or theology. Unfortunately, I am told my Clinical Pastoral Education will not transfer into this program.  Below is the breakdown of courses

One of the following two course language sequence in the Biblical studies area:
MAB1121 introduction to Biblical Hebrew I
MAB1122 introduction to Biblical Hebrew Il or
MAB1521 New Testament Greek I
MAB1522 New Testament Greek ll
Required courses in the Biblical Studies area:
MAB1111 lntroduction to the Old Testament I
MAB1112 lntroduction to the Old Testament ll
MAB1511 lntroduction to the New Testament I
MAB1512 lntroduction to the New Testament ll
Required courses in the Historical/Theological Studies area:
MAHT2111 lntroduction to the Christian Tradition I
MAHT2112 lntroduction to the Christian Tradition ll
MAHT2311 Christian Theology I
MAHT2312 Chriistian Theology ll
MAHT2410 lntroduction to Christian Ethics
MAHT2650 World Religions 

One the following courses in the Biblical studies or Historical/Theological area:
MAB1070 Models of Biblical lnterpretation
MAB1OSO Topics of Biblical interpretation
MAB1091 Biblical lnterpretation in the Church
MAHT2312 Theology of the Church
MAHT2411 Christianity and Culture
MAHI2622 Perspectives on Global Christian Movements
MAHT2652 Jesus in a Pluralistic Age
Three Elective or specialization courses from the M.T,S. program options:
MAXXXX Electives
MA4090/99 Thesis or Comprehensive Exam
Total semester hours required for degree program completion: 51 semester hours. With what I have that will transfer in should bring my required courses to I hope 14.  This looks like a good program.

No comments: